Monday, January 4, 2010

Time to move to Florida

I'm moving to Florida as soon as I can. This cold weather is too much for me to take.
This can't be Florida. This has to be Michigan. Or Ohio. New York. Pennsylvania.
Alaska?
This is shaping up to be our coldest winter in years. I can't remember the last time we had a sustained period of cold?
I do remember it snowing here in Sarasota. I was on my way to work at the old Sarasota Journal at 4:30 a.m. on a cold, winter day in 1977. I saw it snow.
It also snowed on Christmas Eve 1988, albeit only flurries.
But that's been it.
For the last five winters, I haven't even had to wear waders while out fishing. Shorts, long-sleeved fishing shirt and maybe a vest or light jacket has been the norm.
I had to reschedule a charter I had today until next week.
I also have a charter on Friday that I'll try to get in. We probably won't hit the water until maybe noon or 1 p.m. You don't have to get on the water at sunrise these days.
The bad news is there's another front on the way.
It's not good for our snook population. Snook are very susceptible to cold. When the water temperature dips into the low 50s, snook can die. We've had heavy snook kills in past winters.
Maybe it's Mother Nature's way with controllng the population? They always seem to rebound.
I don't know if I can rebound. I'm a Florida boy. My blood's way too thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment