Monday, January 11, 2010

I now know what the 'shack nasties' are

Those who live in the cold north often talk about the "shack nasties." Living in Florida for most of my life, I had no idea what they were talking about.
I now know.
Florida has been hit with cold weather that has stuck around for a couple of weeks. We've had ice on the windshields, arctic wind and fish kills. Our fish don't like cold, either.
I finally figured out the shack nasties. It's also known as cabin fever. It takes place in the winter when northerners can't get out of the house. Kind of like being stir crazy.

To combat the nasties, I've been tying flies. I've got D.T. Specials ready for beach snook season. I've tied plenty of Aunt Sara's Homely Daughters for bluegill. The ASHD is a bead-head nymph on a No. 10 or 12 hook. I've tied several FLY Nymphs and Wooly Buggers. I'm working on a few Gibby's First Cast Crabs.
I need to get out on the water. This weather is rare in the Sunshine State.
I've got two charters this week, one on Wednesday and the other on Saturday. Both are 6-hour outings. I hope I can get them in.
The weather is starting to warm up a little, so I'm hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment