Monday, August 24, 2009

Tough conditions, but success







The wind was supposed to be slight and out of the east. That's just perfect of beach snook fishing.



But when I got to the beach, the swells were fairly large and breaking right on the beach. In addition, there was a storm to the north that was threatening.



I decided to stick it out and was rewared. I caught and released 10 snook to 27 inches, lost several more and stuck a couple of hogs (but lost both). There were some sizeable snook in the surf today.



KEY TO SUCCESS: What worked for me was the find snook and wait until a wave broke right on them. I'd cast and hook up with good success. The stirred up water had them off-guard and they weren't quite as spooky.



Most of the action took place north of where I usually get into fish. Then, I got into a bunch on the walk back.



I consider this a very good day, in lieu of the circumstances.



Tide was incoming. Lots of grass in the surf. I don't think a spin angler would have had as much success.

No comments:

Post a Comment