Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Weather marked by rain, lightning and waterspouts

The weather hasn't been good lately. It has been raining nearly every day and the wind is creating problems, too.
It's imperative when you're on the water (no matter where you're located) to keep an eye on the weather.
I was out last week on a cloudy, rainy day. For the most part, it was calm and comfortable. The gentle rain was a welcome relief from the sweltering heat.
Just after noon, a squall moved in from the north. I was fishing just southeast of Whale Key in Sarasota Bay when it started heading my way.
What to do?
I waited a tad too long, but I started paddling west toward the launch anyway. You never know how much time you have. But it's never enough when you're in a kayak.
I didn't make it to the launch. However, I did make it to a small mangrove island and was able to wait out the storm under some mangroves.
When the squall cleared, I paddled out 50 feet and began catching fish. When another squall appeared to the west, I decided to call it a day.
I wasn't far from the launch, so I had time to spare. When I got to within 200 yard of the launch, I noticed a waterspout (tornado at sea) to the west. It was large and well formed. I took a few photos of it.
The waterspout lasted about five minutes, then dissipated. The sky was still ominous, but the danger had largely disappeared.
Fortunately, there was no lightning. Whenever lightning is around, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment