Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hefty spotted seatrout plentiful around Sarasota Bay

Spotted seatrout action has been as good as ever this summer.
I'm not talking about big numbers. I'm talking about big trout!
For the past two months, my clients and I have been taking hefty trout up to 26 inches. This is happening on virtually every outing.
These trout are plump, feisty and very aggressive.
If you've ever hooked a seatrout, you know they're not the best fighters. For the most part, they wallow on the surface and give up quickly.
Not these big dudes.
A big trout is a different animal. A 25-inch trout can bend a rod, pull line off the drag and make you think you hooked into a redfish.
We've been catching our bigger trout on D.O.A. CAL Jigs with gold paddle tails, D.O.A. Deadly Combinations and flies (Clouser Deep Minnow, Gibby's Big Eye Baitfish).
I won't go into detail as to the location, but I will reveal that Sarasota Bay has been the general area. It's not that I'm all that secretive about spots, but too many people kill fish and I'd like to think these big trout have a good chance of avoiding the fillet knife.
The trout are holding on grass edges and patches in 3 to 6 feet of water.
In addition to trout, we've been encountering Spanish mackerel, jack crevalle, bluefish, ladyfish, jack crevalle and tarpon. Redfish were plentiful a month ago, but seemingly have vanished from the shallow flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment