Sunday, February 6, 2011

Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing report

The D.O.A. 4-inch jerk worm on a CAL jig head has been producing some very good action on the Myakka River.
For the past two weeks, we’ve been fishing the Myakka River, a diverse and interesting stream that meanders through Sarasota County and empties into Charlotte Harbor.


We’ve been launching the kayaks at Snook Haven and fishing downstream, catching snook, redfish, largemouth bass and gar. We’ve taken “river slams” on most outings. A river slam is a snook, redfish and bass.

The D.O.A. 4-inch CAL jerk worm on a CAL 1/16-ounce jig head has been the ticket to success. We cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and then jig it slowly in.

The lure has resulted in snook to 29 inches, redfish to 23 and bass to 15. We’ve also landed gar to nearly 20 pounds.

The river offers exciting fishing and great scenery. There’s nothing quite like hitting the river and daylight and paddling downstream to our favorite fishing spots.

The banks are lines with cabbage palms, palmettos and stately oaks.

The allure of the river is you never know what you’ll catch. Most hits feel the same, but you might hook a 15-inch bass on one cast or a 20-pound snook on the next.

Capt. Jack Hartman of Sarasota fished with me in the upper river on a bass trip. We’ve combined to landed 40 bass to 2 ½ pounds. Most of the fish came on Culprit 7.5-inch red shad and crawdad worms. Bass were holding around fallen trees and drop-offs.

Dave Robinson of Sarasota caught a pair of snook to 24 inches and a bass on the D.O.A. jerk worm.

On a solo outing, I caught and released five snook to 25 inches, redfish to 23 and bass to 15. All fish came on the D.O.A. jerk worm.

On a recent outing, I discovered a new pattern for me. Usually, we target the shoreline, casting around fallen trees and other structure. I was doing exactly that one day when my wife called. While we were talking, my kayak started drifting toward the opposite shoreline. I made a cast into the middle of the river and immediately had a hit. I set the hook and was fast into a snook. I lost the fish – a 20-incher – at the boat.

On my next cast into the deep water, I hooked a fish that I couldn’t handle.

After our conversation ended, I decided to give the new “deep-water” pattern a try. It resulted in eight more fish – six snook to 27 inches an two nice bass. Over the next few trips, I caught more snook and bass, plus several nice redfish.

This river action should continue for at least another month.

I expect spotted seatrout, pompano, bluefish, Spanish mackerel and ladyfish action to pick up on the deep grass flats when the water temperature hits the mid-60s. It’s 62 right now, so that shouldn’t take long.

Redfish action on the flats is expected to improve – especially around the low tides.

If you like to cast a light fly for freshwater fish, the Manatee River is your place. There, we catch plenty of “hand-sized” bluegill, plus a few shellcracker, largemouth bass and channel catfish.

Please give me a call at (941) 284-3406 to book your outing.

The worst trip you’ll have will be pretty darn good!



Steve Gibson

Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing

http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/

(941) 284-3406

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm going to have to get the 12 footer next year to replace my Tarpon 120. It's served me well for 3 years. Time for it to find a new home after this season. I was afraid it would be heavy. I have some fairly difficult, steep accesses. It's only a 7 lb increase with way better handles along the side. Just got the Ultimate Tandem 16 this past year, so I'll have to wait, but its on my list. And it's even in that obnoxious Lime Green color that I absolutely LOVE! It alerts the drunken rich-boy jet boaters to my presence on the river. I'd love to test paddle the thing.

    ReplyDelete